Student Transfers

WCSS Announces House Bill 251 Procedures for School Choice for 2022-2023 School Year

As a parent or guardian, you can request to have your child transferred to another public school within your school district of residence as long as the school district has determined that there is available classroom space at the school after all assigned students have been enrolled. Please keep in mind that if you choose to transfer your child to another school in the district, the law requires you to assume all costs and responsibilities related to the transportation of your child to and from the school as long as your child remains at that school.

For your convenience, the district’s list of schools with available classroom space for the upcoming school year is listed.

Jack P Nix Elementary - All grade levels available.
Mossy Creek Elementary - All grade levels available.
Mount Yonah Elementary - Fourth grade is at capacity. No out-of-district students are permitted in these grade levels.
All other grade levels are available.

Tesnatee Gap Elementary - Kindergarten will enroll ONLY students in the district and fifth grade is at capacity.
No out-of-district students are permitted in these grade levels. All other grade levels are available.

In order to process your request, you will need to complete the online Transfer Request Form. Requests for transfers will not be accepted after 5:00 PM on Friday, May 27, 2022.

Transfer requests will be reviewed and approved or denied on the basis that a particular school has available space and the number of transfer requests exceeds the remaining available capacity. Once available classroom space is reached at a school, no more transfers will be accepted at that school.

If you have questions regarding this, please contact Allison Funk, WCSS Director of Elementary Education, [email protected], and706-865-2315 ext. 1809.

School Choice

 School Choice Transfers are available each year during an announced application period.  The application procedures, forms and dates will be posted on the District's website during the second semester each year.  Applications for school transfer requests must be completed by 5:00 PM on Friday, May 27, 2022 for consideration.

Sibling Transfers

Parents/guardians of a student who has a sibling already enrolled in a District school though an approved transfer may apply for the younger sibling to attend the same school in accordance with District Policy JBCCA.  This provision attempts to address siblings enrolled in different schools at the same time due to an approved transfer.  A sibling is defined as a brother, sister, step-brother or step-sister living in the same household and who otherwise meets the requirements for enrollment.  Parents/guardians wishing to apply for a sibling school choice transfer must do so during the annual application period and provide own transportation to and from requested school.

HB 251

Parent/guardians of a student zoned to attend a District school may apply for an HB 251 transfer in accordance with Georgia's Quality Basic Education Act and District administrative rule JBCCA in order to pursue a transfer to another District school.  Available space at a school is based on permanent classroom space.  Information regarding School Choice Transfers can be found HERE.

Special Needs Scholarship

Special needs scholarships, which provide tuition to private school for students with disabilities, are available each year during a period established by the Georgia State Board of Education.  A student with a disability may apply for a scholarship to an approved private school pursuant to O.C.G.A., (also known as SB 10,) by applying directly to the State Department of Education.  Information regarding the State Department of Educations SB 10 program can be found HERE.

Family Moves

 If the family of a student who is already enrolled and attending a District school moves outside of the current school's attendance zone, the enrolling adult may apply for their children to remain enrolled at the current school until the end of the current school year.  Based on several factors including the state of the move and the location of the new residence, the student may be eligible to be approved to continue enrollment for the current semester, the current school year or through the highest grade of school.

Children of Employees

All employees of the White County School District, except temporary and substitute employees, who are also a custodial parent/legal guardian/step-parent with whom the child resides, may elect to have their children attend any District school according to the requirements of District Policy JBCCA.

Student Legal Issues

A student who is a victim of a violent crime, as defined by State Board of Education Rule 160-4-8-.16 (Unsafe School Choice Option,) may be eligible for a transfer to another school in the District.


Parents/guardians of students requesting a MKV/hardship transfer from the District school to which they are zoned must submit a Student Residency Survey to our school system social worker.  A decision regarding the transfer request will be made by the school system social worker.  For further questions, please contact Ciarra Motes at 706-865-2315 ext. 1308.