Reporting Suspicion of Fraudulent Activities
WHITE COUNTY SCHOOL SYSTEM
Fraud, Waste & Abuse Administrative Regulations
- Reporting Suspicion of Fraudulent Activities
- Complaint Administrative Regulation and Complaint E-Form
The White County School System adheres to the Code of Ethics for Georgia Educators. Any detected or suspected fraud, waste, or abuse must be reported immediately to the Superintendent of Schools. Such fraud, waste, or abuse applies to any fraudulent activity involving not only employees but also directors, vendors, outside agencies, and/or unknown parties. Investigations will be performed without regard to length of service, title/position, or relationship.
Fraud: A false representation of a matter of fact, whether by words or by conduct, or by concealment of that which should have been disclosed, that is used for the purpose of misappropriating property and/or monetary funds from federal grants.
Waste: "Waste” means the thoughtless or careless expenditure, consumption, mismanagement, use, or squandering of resources owned or operated by the school system to the detriment or potential determent of the system. Waste also includes incurring unnecessary cost because of inefficient or ineffective practices, systems or controls.
Abuse: “Abuse” means the excessive, or improper use of something, or the use of something in a manner contrary to the natural or legal rules for its use; the intentional destruction, diversion, manipulation, misapplication, maltreatment, or misuse of resources owned or operated by the school system; or extravagant or excessive use so as to abuse one’s position or authority.
Statement of Administrative Regulations:
White County Board of Education thoroughly and expeditiously investigates any reported cases of suspected fraud, waste, or abuse to determine if disciplinary, financial recovery and/or criminal action should be taken.
All reports of suspect fraud, waste, or abuse must be handled under the strictest confidentiality. Only those directly involved in the investigation should be given information. Informants may remain anonymous but should be encouraged to cooperate with the investigators and should provide as much detail and evidence of alleged fraudulent act as possible.
Procedures and Responsibilities:
1. Anyone suspecting fraud, waste, or abuse concerning federal programs should report their concerns to the White County Board of Education at 136 Warriors Path, Cleveland, GA 30528
2. Any employee with the White County Board of Education (temporary staff, full-time staff and contractors) who receives a report of suspected fraudulent activity must report this information within the next business day. You are to contact the White County Board of Education at 706-865-2315. Employees have the responsibility to report suspected fraud. All reports can be made in confidence.
3. The White County Board of Education shall conduct investigations of employees, providers, contractors, or vendors.
4. If necessary you will be contacted for additional information.
5. Periodic communication through meetings should emphasize the responsibilities and channels to report suspected fraud, waste, or abuse.